Care Right Now is able to deliver educational outreach using academic detailing.
What is academic detailing?
The delivery of evidence based educational messages about how to achieve better outcomes in the patient’s interest
• One to one (or very small group) communication
• Use of the principles of Social Marketing
• Not driven by commercial interest
• Focused on achieving behavioural change
• Delivered in the clinician’s own time and practice area
• Academic detailing has an academic base and proven record
What academic detailing involves:
It is a focused session lasting no longer than 10 minutes, detailing with a specific clinical area. The ‘detailer’ outlines the research base; the potential action to be taken and invites questions, both during the session and afterwards.The approach is not didactic as it positively invites challenge and debate and recognises the need to understand how the application of theories and guidelines play out in the real world.
Concise graphical materials are given out (never any more than 2 sides of A4) and follow up is arranged. The follow up could be a ‘phone call, skype call,email, letter, short survey, or another short meeting.
Where did this approach come from?
It originated in the US where Drug Reps are often referred to as ‘detailers’.
It is primarily used as an educational tool for prescribers of medicines, however at Care Right Now (CIC ) we believe it has wider applications. For example in promoting key messages and actions needed for safeguarding or patient safety.
What are the benefits of academic detailing:
• Focusing on key messages saves time and is more appropriate for busy areas and busy clinicians
• Strong emphaisis on the evidence base, and an opportunity to question this, leads to better outcomes than simply attending a good training session
• Proven to help change behaviours and promote best practice*
• The use of 4 /5 key messages links to adult learning theory and addresses deep learning and surface learning
Any down sides?
This is not cheaper than conventional training and needs to be sustained over a long period to be successful. So not for the faint hearted.
For more details call us on: 07931 919 330
Or email us at email@example.com
*Academic Detailing ‘techniques have been shown to reduce inappropriate prescribing as well as unnecessary health care expenditures.’ Soumerai S,B and Avorn J (1990) Principles of Educational Outreach (‘Academic Detailing’) to improve clinical decision making. Journal of the American Medical Association Vol. 263 No. 4 549-556